born in Berlin, 1955, after his military service in the East German armed forces, began to work as an assistant director at the DEFA - Studio for Feature Films in 1975.
Between 1978 and 1983 he studied at the Academy of Film & Television in Potsdam- Babelsberg.
His first documentary, “Wozu denn über diese Leute einen Film” (1980), was banned from public screening.
In 1990 he acquired his MA at the Berlin Academy of Fine Art.
He was a member of the Berlin Ensemble until 1997, where acted as contributing director for a number of productions.